Spring Grove is a happy family school set in 14 acres of beautiful Kent countryside and is based in a magnificent Stuart house, completed in the late seventeenth century.
It was built in 1674 by Dr Thomas Brett and lived in subsequently by generations of the same Brett family. In the mid-nineteenth century Spring Grove was home to Charles Jenyns, a businessman who moved from London to Wye to take advantage of the new, fast train service from rural Kent into the City: perhaps an early example of regular commuting into town. Jenyns was also an amateur painter and his water-colour of Wye, which includes a passing train, hangs in Wye Church.
Research has shown that during the twentieth century Spring Grove was lived in variously by an admiral, the writer Joseph Conrad (during which time he wrote his short novel ‘The Rescue’), the family of a Conservative peer, a medical unit during the war and students of Wye Theological College. The Christophersons bought the house in the 1950s and Spring Grove School was founded in 1967 by Mrs Christopherson.
Mrs June Cobb was the headmistress for the first ten years of the school’s life. In the 1980s Niall Washington-Jones guided the school and established its reputation as a family school wth a homely atmosphere and emphasis on good manners. In 2003 a group of parents bought the school and set it up as a charitable trust administered by a Board of Governors. Craig Gibbs served as headmaster from 2004 – 2007.
Since January 2008, Bill Jones has been headmaster and, together with his wife Hilary, has been keen to strengthen its reputation as a school that provides a first-class preparation for primary age pupils for their next schools.